- "Sharks had been swimming Earth's oceans for hundreds of millions of years already when the ancestors of Homo sapiens were still trying to figure out how to peel a banana. [...] Sharks are killing machines. Mostly they kill fish. In some parts of the world they kill seals. They kill dolphins. They kill whales, when they can manage it. And they kill humans. At least some species do: the great white, the tiger shark... and the hammerhead. This was the killing machine I had become. Utterly without fear. Utterly without emotion. A mind with no room for anything else but killing. [...] A restless, ever-moving thing, ever questing after blood. A mind as cold, as sharp, as deadly as a polished-steel knife blade."
The shark is an aquatic predator native to Earth that has been acquired and morphed by the Animorphs for deep sea missions. They were also briefly controlled by the Yeerks in order to launch a takeover of the Leeran homeworld.
In The Message, as well as in the alternate timeline in Back to Before, Ax, stuck in the GalaxyTree Dome ship under the ocean, stunned a tiger shark in order to acquire its DNA, in the event that no one came to rescue him and he would have to escape himself. Some time later, needing hammerhead shark morphs in order to infiltrate the underwater Yeerk base at Royan Island, the Animorphs head to Ocean World, where a fourteen foot long hammerhead resided. Marco jumps on top of it to acquire it, and takes advantage of the acquisition trance so that the other five – Jake, Rachel, Tobias, Cassie and Ax – could acquire it as well.
Ax used his tiger shark morph in order to escape from his Dome ship in The Message and in Back to Before, and later used the morph in The Reaction and in the beginning of The Escape for ocean-based missions as he did not possess a dolphin morph at the time unlike the other Animorphs.
Royan Island MissionEdit
The Animorphs primarily used the hammerhead shark morph in The Escape in order to blend in with the other hammerhead shark-Controllers that the Yeerk Empire were using in the waters surrounding Royan Island.
- "Dolphin morph! Ax, you'll have to morph your tiger shark."
"Wait, no! We don't know what's in this ocean, but the Yeerks thought hammerhead sharks would be the baddest things around, right? That's why they wanted to create shark-Controllers to fight in this ocean. We should all go shark."
- ―Jake and Cassie
To be added
To be added
- "There's only one reason to alter the physiology of these brains. To make it possible for the Yeerks to enter them. The natural shark brain is too small, too simplistic for the Yeerks to control. They are mutating the sharks to make them capable of being made into Controllers. They will need to add ear canals as well. So that the Yeerks can enter and leave the brain."
"A new version of Hork-Bajir. That's it! The Yeerks want water-going Hork-Bajir. They need dangerous, tough, deadly shock-troops that can go where Hork-Bajir can't: in the water. What better soldier than a shark-Controller, if you need troops in an underwater environment?"
- ―Ax and Marco
The Yeerk Empire, unable to initiate a stealthy invasion of the planet Leera, due to the psychic nature of the Leerans, opted to use control chips to mutate hammerhead sharks and make them into Controllers. Using the waters near Royan Island, the sharks being altered and trained to obey the Yeerks, at which point they would be transferred to Leera in order to become the Empire's new water-based warriors.
- The Message (tiger sharks; acquired and morphed by Ax)
- The Predator (mentioned)
- The Android (mentioned)
- The Reaction (tiger shark, morphed by Ax)
- The Escape (hammerhead sharks; acquired and morphed by Marco, Jake, Rachel, Tobias, Cassie and Ax/tiger shark, morphed by Ax)
- The Underground (mentioned)
- The Decision (hammerhead shark, morphed by Jake, Cassie, Marco and Ax)
- In the Time of Dinosaurs (mentioned)
- The Discovery (mentioned)
- The Extreme (mentioned)
- The Attack (mentioned)
- The Exposed (mentioned)
- The Experiment (mentioned)
- The Sickness (mentioned)
- The Conspiracy (mentioned)
- The Separation (mentioned)
- The Prophecy (hammerhead shark, morphed by Jake and Rachel)
- The Proposal (mentioned)
- The Mutation (hammerhead shark, morphed by Jake, Rachel, Tobias, Cassie, Marco and Ax)
- The Hidden
- Back to Before (tiger shark, acquired and morphed by Ax; alternate timeline)
- The Familiar (mentioned)
- The Journey (hammerhead shark, morphed by Jake, Rachel, Tobias, Cassie and Ax)
- The Test (mentioned)
- The Return (mentioned)
- The Absolute (morphed by Ax)
- The Answer (mentioned)
- Ax (tiger shark, hammerhead shark)
- Marco (hammerhead shark)
- Jake (hammerhead shark)
- Rachel (hammerhead shark)
- Tobias (hammerhead shark)
- Cassie (hammerhead shark)