- "From my memory I called up the brief bit I'd read about squid. They had sharp, parrot-like beaks and eight arms covered with grasping, needle-toothed suckers. And two long, powerful tentacles that worked to grab prey at a distance and draw it toward the arms and mouth. It occurred to me that I didn't know how whales killed squid. But I could more than imagine how squid killed whales."
- "I kept the now-helpless squid on the surface as Jake, Cassie, Marco, Ax, and finally Tobias acquired it. It wasn't easy. It wasn't exactly a party, as human and Andalite and hawk wallowed in the waves, pressing hands and talons against the rubbery creature. Fortunately the squid responded normally to being acquired. It grew calm and peaceful."
The Animorphs used the giant squid morphs in order to reach the Pemalite ship in The Exposed. Once on board, the ship created water bubbles for them so that they could traverse the ship while in morph. When the Yeerks arrived, the Animorphs used their squid ink to shroud the bubbles, allowing them to demorph and remorph into battle morphs.
- In the Time of Dinosaurs (big squid; mentioned)
- The Exposed (acquired and morphed by Jake, Rachel, Tobias, Cassie, Marco and Ax)
- The Mutation (mentioned)
- The Ultimate (squid; mentioned)